Saturday, May 16, 2009

Review #3 - Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout


The first of the bottles I received in my Dark Lord trade. I drank this slowly, over about 90 minutes, while eating a curry and watching Americas Funniest Home Videos on the couch with Katie.

I poured this into an oversized red wine glass, as I still don't have a proper goblet or chalice for this type of beer. Apparently it needs a lot of surface area to do its thing.

There was a small, thin, head, which was gone before I knew it, leaving behind oil-slick looking patches on the top of the beer. Looks like a big glass of motor oil.

It smells like toffee, and roasted grain. Oh, and booze. The smell was the best part about this beer.

Taste - Strong roasted malt flavors, some chocolate, lots of burnt taste, significant bitterness from the hops. It leaves a sour aftertaste on the back of the mouth. The alcohol is very upfront. I guess I sort of expect that from a 10% ABV beer, but usually there's enough flavor to mask part of it.

It could be I just wasn't in the mood for this, but all and I all I think this a pretty weak beer. Not balanced and too many sharp flavors. I'd go for an Old Rasputin over this any day. It took me quite a while to finish this one.

Verdict - I'll pass

Verdict II - America's Funniest Home Videos sucks. They need less naked kids farting in the bathtub and more people falling down the steps.

1 comment:

  1. You know what AFV really needs less of: [redacted]!

    ReplyDelete