Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review #5 - Half Acre's Baume'


I should start by saying that I'm a little biased in favor of Half Acre. I pass their brewery every day on the way to and from work, which is pretty cool. They're fairly new, so most places only have two of their beers: The Over Ale, which I like, and a Lager, which I haven't tried yet.

However, during one of my excursions to Binny's, I saw bombers of Baume' which according to the bottle is:

1) A handsomely hopped rye stout
2) The first beer brewed in their new location (by my house!)

On repeat trips to Binny's, I saw they're sold out, so I'm really glad other people are trying this beer. It's great! The rye and hops certainly give it a punch, but it's also smooth and drinkable and even though it shouldn't matter too much in my opinion of it, I really like the bottle. I have another bottle of this, but I'm holding on to it. I have a feeling it's going to get better with age, and I also like having a limited edition piece of Chicago brewing history.

Verdict: They should re-brew this and get it into six packs!

Verdict II - My dad would like that it's named after French Chemist Antoine Baume', who came up with a scale to measure the density of liquids.

No comments:

Post a Comment