Monday, January 10, 2011

2011 Day 10: Greene King's Abbot Ale

Name: Abbot Ale
From: Greene King, Suffolk, England
Type: English Pale Ale

Back home in Chicago, and after a long day of finding jobs for actuaries, I was ready for a beer. Abbot Ale comes in 16oz cans, and I have to say, I really like it. It's got a full rich flavor, with caramel malt notes and grassy hops. It's got the typical flavor profile for an English "real ale" which is fine by me The ABV is low enough that you can have several of them, and it's one of those beers that maintains a good head and leaves rings of lacing down the glass, so you can see every drink you've taken. I think it was $9.99 for a 4 pack of cans, which isn't exactly cheap, but it's not too pricey either. A perfect beer to enjoy with a soccer game, especially if it happens to be on around noon. I'd really love to try this one on cask, I bet it's phenomenal.

3 comments:

  1. I just caught up on all your blogs and unsurprisingly became pretty thirsty for a beer. Luckily, I was given a bunch of beer for Christmas, and popped a Bells Brewery staple, Two Hearted Ale. MMMMMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owen and Engine has this on cask Steve. Its a new English restaurant in Bucktown. They have stupid long waits for tables but the beer is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gaz - thanks for the tip man, I've been meaning to get down there

    @Matt - Bells is phenomenal. Hopslam and Two-Hearted are some of the best beers I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete