Saturday, January 29, 2011

2011 Day 28: Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza


Name: Oro De Calabaza
From: Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Type: Biere De Garde

Finally! A drink to get excited about! So many milquetoast reviews this month, but this beer won't be one of them. Last night I went to Quenchers saloon for a friends birthday and was excited to see a Jolly Pumpkin offering on tap, as I've heard great things about them. For me, it totally lived up to the hype. I loved this brew! The smell was great, lots of lemongrass and orange peel, but also tons of that barnyard funk (hay, wet leather) you get from the wild brettanomyces yeast strain, which some people loathe, but I happen to really like. The taste was complex too, funky, fruity, complicated, slightly tart, with some bitter earthy hops on the finish. The champagne-like carbonation gives it an amazing mouthfeel. A fantastic beer that I would absolutely get again, just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment