Monday, January 31, 2011

2011 Day 30: Bavaria - Bavaria Brouwerij N.V.

Name: Bavaria
From: Bavaria Brouwerij, NV, Netherlands
Type: German Pilsner


Saturday was another late night. In fact, this weekend is the first time I can remember being out past midnight two nights in a row for quite some time. I drank this Bavaria Pilsner at about 12:30 AM on Sunday morning. It was my fourth beer of the night, so some of the subtleties might have been lost on me, but I paid close enough attention to give it a fair review. When I saw the green bottle (and Dutch origin) I was sure this was going to be a skunky Heineken-type Euro lager, but it's not. It has that "German" barley smell you get from a Pilsner, and while it's not as robust or full-flavored as a Bitburger or a Jever, it's still pretty good. Maybe a touch sweet, but certainly much better than I thought I was going to get for a $3.50 bottle. I still find it a bit odd that a brewery in Holland would call themselves "Bavaria", but there you are. Pretty good brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment