Monday, February 7, 2011

2011 Day 38 - Brewdog Rip Tide


Name: Rip Tide
From: Brewdog, Scotland, UK
Type: American Imperial Stout

Today after work I go and buy a shovel, bring it home on the train, and go to work freeing my car from its icy prison. 90 minutes later I'm still not done, but things are looking a lot better, even if one of my door handles DID happen to fall off. I finally came inside because my shoes were soaked through and my feet were frozen. I ate a slice of pizza, drew a hot bath, and cracked the heartiest beer I had cold - Brewdog Riptide. Imperial Stouts aren't my favorite style, but when you're frozen to the bone there's nothing better. This beer pours a little darker than a coca-cola, and with minimal head and lacing it sort of looks like a glass of flat soda. At first the smell was just charred grain and booze, but as it warmed up I got a lot more - dark chocolate, licorice and figs. The taste was similar - it's pretty boozy (8% ABV), but there's a lot going on besides that. It's not overwhelmingly roasty/smokey like a lot of imperial stouts either. I can't see myself getting this one often, but I was really glad to have a bomber of it in the house today.

No comments:

Post a Comment