Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2011 Day 44: Hanssens Oudbeitje Lambic


Name: Oudbeitje Lambic From: Hanssens Artisanaal bvba, Belgium Type: Lambic - Fruit

Ahh, this beer. I first drank one last December when I was discovering wild ales, and it absolutely pummeled me with sourness and funk. I was shocked a beer could taste like it did. So when Pat took me to his local beer store (which puts almost every Chicago beer store to shame) I was stoked to see it for $5 a bottle - it runs $10 up here. I was also excited to make Pat try a new style of beer. This beer pours almost flat - no head, and just a few tiny bubbles. The smell is crazy - barnyard funk, strawberries, and old milk (??). The taste follows suit, it's pretty intensely sour, with a frutiness that isn't sweet, with plenty of funky, funky notes. A sipper for sure, and much better at cellar temperature than it is right out of the fridge. I remember it being even more sour the last time I had it, but I was glad it wasn't completely overwhelming, because I could tell Pat was struggling with it a little. A quirky, strange beer. Try it if you dare.

No comments:

Post a Comment