Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2011 Day 40: Dogfish Head Midas Touch Golden Elixer


Name: Midas Touch Golden Elixer
From: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Delaware, USA
Type: Herbed/Spiced Beer


I stopped in the bar near the train station on a particularly nasty night to grab a quick beer before heading home, and opted for Midas Touch. This beer is based on an ancient recipe, and made with honey - as well as saffron and a few other strange ingredients. It was served way too cold to taste anything interesting at first, but as it warmed, I could get a lot of interesting, odd flavors out of it. It had aspects of the taste that reminded me of a white wine (although I don't know if any grapes went into brewing it). I like beers brewed with honey....it doesn't make them sweet (the sugar ferments out) but it leaves a dry "polleny" taste that I love. In general, this wasn't a beer so delicious I'd go out of my way to try again, but it was interesting, and I'm glad I tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment