Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2011 Day 51: Victory Yakima Glory


Name: Yakima Glory
From: Victory Brewing, Pennsylvania, USA
Type: American Black Ale

This is a relatively new style of beer - which BeerAdvocate has apparently dubbed "American Black Ale". I've also seen them called Black IPAs and Cascadian Dark Ales. Whatever you call it, they're malty, highly hopped brews. They seem like something I'd be really into. I love porters and stouts, and I love American IPAs. But I've never found one of these that really gets me going. Something about the interplay between the bitterness of the charred/roasted malts and the bitterness of the hops makes it sort of trying. Don't get me wrong, this is a well-done brew. The hops are complex and really come through in both aroma and taste, and it's balanced in a pleasing way, but the sum of the parts just isn't quite there for me. Certainly worth trying though.

No comments:

Post a Comment