Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2011 Day 41: Rogue Old Crustacean

Name: Old Crustacean
From: Rogue Brewing, Oregon, USA
Type: American Barleywine



I'm usually pretty good about how much I drink. I have an office job and it's not fun or easy to do it with a hangover. So usually it's one or two a night, spaced out nicely. Last Thursday was not one of those nights. Katie and I met two friends at a local bar (The Long Room - easily one of my favorite places in Chicago) and to make a long story short, I got completely hammered. My first beer of the night was Rogue's Old Crustacean Barleywine. At nearly 12% ABV, obviously not a great choice for a long night of brews, but I was feeling adventurous. This is one of the most intense beers I've ever had. I know Barleywine's are good for aging, but I had this on tap from a fresh keg and it nearly knocking my socks off. The bitterness was completely over the top, and the malts were thick and bready. This beer is huge in every way, and was definitely a sipper. As it warmed I got more out of it, but still it was mostly just a hot boozy slap in the mouth. I'm glad I tried this one, but this certainly isn't an everyday beer. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment