Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2011 Day 46: Harvey Lewes Castle Brown Ale


Name: Harvey Lewes Castle Brown Ale
From: Harvey & Son, LTD, England, UK
Type: English Brown Ale

Wow, I think this is the first cask beer I've used for beer of the day, which surprises me, because I love beer on cask and drink it whenever its available. For those who don't know, cask means the beer is naturally carbonated through fermentation instead of being force-carbed with Co2 in a keg. The English call them "real ales". They're usually a little warmer and flatter than other beers on tap and the natural carbonation gives them a smooth mouthfeel and complex, changing flavors. This was a tasty beer - nice malts that tasted bready, with a touch of spicy rye and maybe even anise. People in the states love to rip into English beers, but I think they do them right more often than they don't, and this is no exception. Good beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment